For Merit, the student needs to create a crafted and controlled visual and verbal text that is convincing.
This involves developing, sustaining and structuring ideas convincingly and using appropriate language features to create meaning, effects and audience interest.
This student has created a montage, triggered by ideas in Beyoncé’s song Pretty Hurts. This montage convincingly sustains the idea of the contrast between the outward appearance and the painful ‘stripped to the bone’ reality involved in conforming to beauty norms.
Visual and verbal language features are deliberately selected to create meaning, effects and audience interest. Quotations, along with images of cosmetic surgery, bulimia and size 0 clothing have been placed around the central frame. The colour red emphasises pain and hurt, symbolising the undertone of the media’s concept of ‘being pretty’.
The idea of the pain of being pretty is sustained by images such as ‘lifting’ of the flap of skin to get at the ‘soul’, which really ‘needs the surgery’, and the ironic juxtaposition of an emaciated body with the line ‘Vogue says thinner is better’. The connections between the images and selected quotations sustain the idea so that it is mostly clear and reasoned.
For a more secure Merit, the student could sustain some ideas more convincingly by moving beyond illustration. There could be further consideration of the abstract, rather than just the physical, in lines such as ‘it’s the soul that needs surgery’. Linking ideas about beauty to societal rather than individual concerns could sustain ideas more convincingly.
- English Level 1 Simple present tense, 50-word passages for beginners + audio & exercises
- Super Easy Reading 200 easy stories for beginners. Some stories are the same as the stories in the Short Stories for Beginners
- Easy Reading 200 easy stories for beginners. Some stories are the same as the stories in the Short Stories for Beginners
- Star Fall A free public service to motivate children to read with phonics
- Study Skills Guides Time management, note-taking, test taking, active listening, stress management, researching, and memorization
History and Culture
- Biography Read biographies, and watch interviews and video clips
- Bible Gateway All different versions of the Bible in English and other languages, in text or pdf format
- Movie Guides Detailed synopses of popular movies with an extensive glossary of vocabulary and various cultural references
- Longman Dictionary The quickest and easiest way to look up any word, simple and clear definitions for English learners to understand
- Dictionary.com The largest free online dictionary with definitions and pronunciation
- Acronym Finder The world's largest and most comprehensive dictionary of acronyms and abbreviations
- LIBQUOTES 100% Sourced Quotations, famous authors, hand-picked quotes, and popular topics
- Finest Quotes A huge collection of inspirational quotes, thoughts of greatest minds in history
Public Domain Books
- Jokes Collection Jokes submitted by ESL/EFL instructors at iteslj.org for classroom use
- Impossible Puzzles By William W. L. Li, an MIT graduate, who came to the United States from China at seven. He wrote this award-winning essay when he was thirteen