The Center for the Aristotelian Tradition is housed in the Philosophy Department, but welcomes associates from across the University. Some faculty listed here have primary research interests in Aristotle and the Aristotelian Tradition; others are less centrally involved, but all have done work impinging on it by engaging issues pursuant to it.
- Christopher Shields, Director: Aristotle, Ancient Philosophy, Aquinas, Suárez, Neo-Aristotelian Metaphysics and Philosophy of Mind.
- Sara Bernstein: Metaphysics, Causation
- Therese Cory: Medieval Philosophy, Thomas Aquinas, Arabic-to-Latin Transmission, Philosophy of Mind and Cognition
- Richard Cross: Medieval Philosophy and Theology, History of Philosophical Theology, Duns Scotus
- Stephen Dumont: Medieval Philosophy
- Rev. John Jenkins (President, ND): Medieval Philosophy, especially Aquinas, Philosophical Theology, Aristotle
- Sean Kelsey: Aristotle, Ancient Philosophy
- Daniel Nolan: Metaphysics, Teleology
- John O'Callaghan: Medieval Philosophy, Thomas Aquinas, Thomistic Metaphysics
- David O'Connor: Ancient Philosophy, Ethics, Philosophy and Literature
- Michael Rea: Philosophy of Religion, Metaphysics, Hylomorphism
- Nicholas Teh: Philosophy of Physics, Metaphysics, Aristotle's Natural Philosophy, Intentionality
- Paul Weithman: Contemporary Political Philosophy, Ethics, Medieval Political Philosophy
- 2017: Wang Hua, Normal University of Beijing, 'NousPoiêtikos'
- 2016: Thomas Harb, Humbolt Univeristy of Berlin, 'Theorien der Privation im Aristotelismus'
- 2017: David Squires, 'A Defense of Aristotle's Constituent Ontology'
- 2016: Allison Murphy, 'Living Well with Others: Aristotle on Friendship'
- 2015: 'Anne Siebels Peterson, 'Hylomorphism in Aristotle’s Metaphysics: Constituent Ontology without Derivative Diversification' (Winner, Review of Metaphysics Dissertation Essay Contest)
Welcome to The Review of Metaphysics
Welcome to the home page for The Review of Metaphysics, a philosophical quarterly founded by Paul Weiss and published by the Philosophy Education Society, Inc.
The Review of Metaphysics is devoted to the promotion of technically competent, definitive contributions to philosophical knowledge. Not associated with any school or group, not the organ of any association or institution, it is interested in persistent, resolute inquiries into root questions, regardless of the writer's affiliations.
Published for seventy years, The Review of Metaphysics has established itself as an unrivaled resource for the profession both in the major research libraries of the world and in the private libraries of professors, scholars, and students of philosophy. Among the top English-language journals in circulation, and boasting one of the largest foreign circulations, the Review offers its reader an overview of contemporary philosophy and the opportunity to assess its developing currents.
Please use the window on the left to find information on our contributors, past issues, subscribing and renewing online, how to submit articles and purchase past articles, the dissertation essay competition, and more.